Thursday, February 18, 2021

Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia 

Schizophrenia is a serious mental illness that affects how a person thinks, feels, and behaves. People with schizophrenia may seem like they have lost touch with reality, which causes significant distress for the individual, their family members, and friends. If left untreated, the symptoms of schizophrenia can be persistent and disabling. However, effective treatments are available. When delivered in a timely, coordinated, and sustained manner, treatment can help affected individuals to engage in school or work, achieve independence, and enjoy personal relationships.

National Institution of Mental Health. “Schizophrenia.” National Institute of Mental Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2020, www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/schizophrenia/index.shtml.


Yesterday my family and I decided to watch Benny and Joon, a film by Jeremiah Checik. 
This movie is a romantic comedy starring Johnny Depp and Mary Stuart Masterson. This film revolves around a schizophrenic sister and her sibling who stands in the way of her love interest. The film offers  knowledge into the love life of individuals who experience the effects from mental illness. 


Pros about making my film about schizophrenia
  1. My movie can serve as a platform to raise awareness about this illness that affects more than 200,000 people every year in the United States alone. 
  2. A percentage of my film earnings could go to charities who focus on helping people with this mental illness. 
  3. My audience will be left mine twisted after watching my film and receive high ratings. 

Cons about making my film about schizophrenia

  1. My film could be misinterpreted and offend some people which will cause my ratings to go down.
  2. I don't want my film to be portrayed negatively on screen and any wrong move could cause it.
  3. I can't relate to this illness and this could affect my film if I don't research it enough and could not accurately portray it.  


Either way, I am only making the opening scene to my film so i don't have to worry too much about it. I will continue to research this illness and others so i could come up with the perfect film.

See you all tomorrow!

Alessia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AND I'D LIKE TO THANK-

Today is the day I've been looking forward to forever: RESTING DAY.  I've finally finished THE WHOLE PROJECT and it wasn't easy....